Sunday, December 15, 2013

SNOWY OWLS IN BROOKLYN!

There is a kind of snowy owl invasion going on in the Northeast and some of them are showing up in Brooklyn, NY -- particularly at Floyd Bennett Field and Gerritsen Creek. In fact, some birders saw one yesterday, Dec. 14!  These photos were taken by a local bird watcher who was lucky enough to see one. This is a female. The males are whiter. Snowy owls love big open spaces. They are also diurnal, not nocturnal like other owls. They nest really far north in the Arctic. Right now, Brooklyn is like their Florida.
Scientists aren't exactly sure why so many snowy owls are around this year, but they have some theories. To read more about why snowy owls are here, click here. This site has so much information of all the bird species currently being seen in the area.

7 comments:

Sarah Awan said...

Hi,Ms.Seitz!How are you?I am writing about birds in my journal.I read about the snowy owls.It is kind of unbelieveable that they are here.Can I go on the bird watching trip with you,Tasfiya and Kaseng?Pleeeeeeease?

Tasfiya Kashem said...

Hi, Ms. Seitz. I read your other comment in the previous post you had. Can't wait for the UNC party!By the way, you were right when you told me that we might see snowy owls in Brooklyn!!! :) I'm gonna do a little more research and record it in my UNC journal. See you on Wednesday!

Tasfiya Kashem said...

And, I cant believe how beautiful the snowy owls are...... :)

Sanjida I Afrose said...

Hi, ms seitz they are so beautiful! Where is this location the picture of the snowy owl?

Ms. Seitz said...

Hi Tasfiya and Sarah: I'm glad you like the snowy owl. They are soooo beautiful! Sarah, I am so glad you are keeping a journal. Tasfiya, I think the photo was taken at Floyd Bennett Field which is part of the Gateway National Recreation Area in Brooklyn. Maybe if it's not too cold during the break I can take you and Sarah there. It's at the end of Flatbush Avenue, if you can believe that, just before the bridge to the Rockaways.

Tasfiya Kashem said...

Wow, really? I would LOVEEE to go! But, I would have to ask for my mom's permission first.I always wanted to visit Floyd Bennett Field, ever since I heard about it from you! Well, Happy Holidays! See you (hopefully) on Sunday, when we go birding!

Sarah Awan said...

Hi Ms.Seitz!I'm sorry I answered late.I am so excited to go on the trip with Tafiya,Fatima and Kaseng.I hope we go on some other day besides this Sunday because maybe I will have guests on that day but we'll see.Hopefully I will come.Bye till then!!!P.S.I can believe that Snowy Owls live in Brooklyn!!!!LOL