Wednesday, June 18, 2014

IN MEMORY OF REX

It is with great sadness to say that my beloved turtle, Rex, died this morning. His age was unknown, but he was at least 10 years old, maybe as old as 20. Rex had been acting lethargic the last few days and wasn't eating much. I was worried about him, so I kept checking on him throughout the day. When I got to school this morning, he looked fine from a distance, but on closer inspection, and then with a gentle nudge to the shell, I realized he was just floating, not swimming. He was dead.

I reacted emotionally, not just with tears, but with audible grieving. It may seem odd to mourn an amphibian this way, but Rex was special. I got Rex eight years ago, when I first became a teacher. My first job was at P.S. 38 in Brooklyn. An anonymous donor sent Rex to me through Donorschoose.org. He arrived at the school in a box through the mail! I remember picking him up at the school office, along with three other large turtles. (I gave two away and one ran away in my yard; but Rex was always by my side). Rex was named through a contest I held at P.S. 38. Students suggested various names and then voted on their favorite.

Of course, Rex came with me when I got a job at P.S. 230, and has been with me for the seven years I've been teaching at P.S. 230. He wasn't the friendliest turtle sometimes. He actually bit a student and wasn't welcoming to other turtles I tried keeping in his tank. He probably had his reasons, but I don't know what they are other than that he is simply a territorial male turtle who defends himself when he thinks he has to.

When school was out for the summer, Rex always came home with me, although he did spend one summer in the school basement, where Matt, the custodian, took care of him. Other people also watched Rex when I went on vacation, but as soon as I got back, Rex came home to me.

I was going to clean out Rex's tank on Friday and bring him home again, but this won't happen now. Perhaps Rex's death is closure for me as I leave P.S. 230 for new challenges at another Brooklyn school. I will miss watching Rex just swimming around being a turtle or eating the occasional goldfish I'd throw in his tank to be reminded of the food chain. I will miss him basking beneath his turtle light and staring out at students as they took the New York State science test. I will miss the simple hum of his tank filter and the fishy smell of his pelleted food. Most of all, I will just miss Rex.

10 comments:

Tasfiya Kashem said...

:O Rex died? This morning? That's so sad! I loved watching him poke his head out and swim in his tank or sometimes rest on the rocks you have. I miss Rex. :( I can't believe he just died...... I was gonna talk about the dessert party and how we missed you there but it doesn't seem so important right now next to Rex's death. He was such a nice turtle, maybe a little territorial, but still the best. I loved watching him from the first day we had science with you in fourth grade to now. June 18 is a sad day for him and everybody else that loved him. :( Well, see you Friday Ms. Seitz.

R.I.P. Rex, who'll always be in our memories. We'll miss you buddy. :(

Sanjida I Afrose said...

WHAT he died he we so homly and comfortable he belongs here. I loved looking through the glass and make faces at him. I understand your grief ms.seitz, I understand. Did he eat right or did something happen that caused his death, if not well... you should get a turtle that looks him and name Rex. Well R.I.P, Rex you are amazing.

Sanjida I Afrose said...

WHAT he died. Thats impossible. He was so homly and comfortable in your room. I loved looking through the glass and make funny faces at him. I understand tour grief, Ms.Seitz, I understand. Did something happen, like maybe did he maybe a problem with him.... well if nor then... I sorry we love him how long do turtles live opproximitly? Is it long? R.I.P, Rex, you should know we love you. Ms.Seitz you should get a turtle that looks like him and name him Rex. Your awesome Rex, good bye by sanjida

Sarah Awan said...

Poor Rex!I remember the last time I asked if I could feed.I remember you telling me that he isn't eating much.I don't think you should replace Rex.He was very special.Rex always was there.We will miss him sooo much. R.I.P Rex!

Tasfiya Kashem said...

P.S. Do you still have Ninja, Ms. Seitz? I remember one of your very old posts when Rex got territorial and Ninja was removed from the tank. I agree with Sarah, even if you get a new turtle, he could never replace Rex. It's like everybody is leaving this year. You Ms. Seitz, Ms. Warren, Ms. Fiden, Mr. Ingram, and even sweet Rex. Once again Rest in Peace Rex, rest in peace.

Ms. Seitz said...

Thank you so much girls. I appreciate your condolences. And I don't think I will be getting a new turtle for a while. I hope the dessert party was fun. I got caught up in things at home and then it was getting late and I decided I'd better just stay put. I'll sign your books on Friday or on Monday. My son graduated from middle school today. It was very nice and then we went to Junior's for lunch, which is very famous for its cheesecake. I'll see you all tomorrow!

Sarah Awan said...

Yum!Cheesecake!:)Congrats to your son Lucas Ms.Seitz!Sabrina and me could really tell by their letters that Miranda and Daniel were perfect for the newspaper next year.We still have 2 more people to choose.It is kind of hard.A lot of them are good.The party was so much fun!

Tasfiya Kashem said...

I searched up Junior's and its cheesecakes look oh-so-delicious to me! Congratulations Lucas! Didn't he get into three high school? I forgot which one he picked to attend from the three but he must be a very good student. I think you told me that he was accepted into Beacon, Brooklyn Tech, and LaGuardia. Thank you for the kind note on the yearbook. I'm gonna miss seeing you! I still have to get my yearbook signed by many other teachers like the gym teachers, Ms. Lau, Ms. Warren, Mr. Schorr, Ms. Rubens, Ms. Drain, Ms. Lane, and more! I can't believe today was the last Friday of our years at PS 230 or even the last time we had science. I'll still stay in touch all the time, I'll try to always find time to write on your blog. Even when in college. Or when I get a job. :) Anyways I'm a little nervous but still excited for graduation. I really hope you can make it! :) Bye!

Sarah Awan said...

I'm so happy today!I see it!I see the flower bud on my MS!I am so excited!I went on Google Images and searched up Mexican Sunflower.The flower is beautiful!The middle is orange and it has round-longish red petals!I can not wait for it to bloom!This is the first plant I ever raised!The beginning of my balcony garden.My daffodil bulb died because it did not have its winter time.I will send you an email of a picture of my Mexican Sunflower.I remember the time you were talking to us about a volcano cheesecake.Is it the one from Juniors?Bye!

Ms. Seitz said...

Sarah: I'm so excited for your bud. I think you are the only student in the Urban Nature Club who has had such success with their Mexican Sunflower, aka, Tithonia. And yes, my daffodil bulbs died too for precisely the reason you state. Oh well. I went to a great garden in Flatbush today at a private house. The man there was just so generous to open his garden up to visitors for this day only. By the way, Szymon and his mother were passing by, so I got to see them.
Tasfiya: Yes, we will always stay in touch!!! And yes, Junior's cheesecake is so yummy. You have a great memory. Lucas did get accepted to those three schools and he chose Beacon.