Sunday, January 25, 2015

Red-Tailed Hawk Sighting!

I could hardly believe my eyes. Perched on a neighbor's shed, adjacent to the back of my yard, stood a gorgeous red-tailed hawk clutching a male house sparrow with its talons. This kind of stuff doesn't bother me...after all I do teach the food chain to fourth-grade students and I know that this kind of behavior isn't mean or bad, it just keeps nature in balance.

So I ran to the dining room, unzipped my camera bag and pulled out my trusty Canon Rebel. It was freezing outside but I went out barefooted and in my pajamas because I didn't want to miss an opportunity for a close look and a great photo! I walked slowly toward the hawk, noticing the teardrop design of its breast and the stern expression of its yellow eyes, and the hawk just stood there unfazed by me. When I got close enough, I stopped and just watched. The hawk pulled at the bird's innards, devouring bits and pieces, and I just kept snapping.

When my feet started getting numb, I went inside to warm up, happy to have these pretty cool photos of a red-tailed hawk in my backyard. Wishing you many adventures in nature -- Ms. Seitz



6 comments:

Victor Veytsman said...

Wow, that is really cool! It's kind-of sad to see the sparrow go, but it's the food chain! See you in class on friday! Check out my website! :)

Unknown said...

Woahhhh, that's so cool.. I aboslutely love the pictures you took Ms. Seitz. They're very close-up and detailes. Also very clear in order to observe the hawk and its prey. I can't believe you saw this! My favorite pictures has to be the last one, because it seems closer and it portrays more action as the hawk pulled at the house sparrow with its talons. I really like the yellow of their eyes. It gives the hawk in my opinion a gorgous yet sort-of fierce look. The patterns and designs of the hawks feathers and breast are also amazing....

Anonymous said...

These birds look really cool. How often do you see these, and where? You obviously don't see them that often (you topped to take pictures barefoot in pajamas) but I was just wondering it they come to backyards, and where you would usually find them often :)
(By the way, I love how this post is told like a story, it make it even more interesting than it already is to read!

Ms. Seitz said...

Hi Tasfiya - I so miss sharing my love of birds with you! I hope middle school is going well for you. I'm actually doing a great bird inquiry project with my fifth-graders who have been observing the Cornell feeder. Then they designed their own research question out of wonderings they had while watching the feeder. We are going to do a science roundtable so the students can present their findings to an audience....their parents. Still would love to show you the owl in Greenwood Cemetery. It's still there!~

Ms. Seitz said...

Hi Anonymous - Glad you like the post and the writing style. Maybe I should start writing more narratively. Disclosure: I am a former journalist!

Unknown said...

I do too. :) And I love how you're teaching your students about the bird feeders. Even people that aren't so interested with birds, find the cams entertaining, and they really are. I show my younger cousin the bird cams sometimes, when she comes over. She especially loves seeing small birds coming to the feeders. She says, they look cute, yet gets fascinated whenever one of the bigger birds land on the feeders. She can currently only identify blue jays, but I'm helping her identify more. Hope you're enjoying your school!