Thursday, July 4, 2013

URBAN NATURE CLUB SUMMER TRIP!

On July 3, 3013, some members of the Urban Nature Club joined me and Ms. Rubens for a nature walk at the Salt Marsh Nature Center in Brooklyn.
We had an amazing time discovering nature and enjoying the great outdoors.
Hamza holds a fiddler crab. He also spotted the diamondback terrapin
 Iory checks out some of the marsh's native plants


Ms. Seitz holding the diamondback terrapin
Saiful really loved the native salt hay

Danny took a dip in the creek
We even splashed a little in Gerritsen Creek and got a special, personal tour of the closed nature center with Park Ranger Gabe Herrera, a Park Slope native.


The 21-year-old ranger is attending Skidmore College, where he is studying anthropology and sociology. He told us about the many free activities, including canoeing, offered at the salt marsh.

Ranger Herrera schooled the boys on box turtles, among other things
Tell your parents about this place and head out there for some free, summer fun! Just click on http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/marinepark/facilities/naturecenters. Another great resources for free, fun nature activities, including camping is http://www.nycgovparks.org/events/urbanparkrangers. They have a great calendar of events all year long! So get OUTSIDE!

6 comments:

Adiba said...

Hello ms.seitz I have a question Do 5th graders have urban nature club every year? If yes I would love to be in it

Ms. Seitz said...

Yes Adiba. The club is open to fifth-graders each year.

Tasfiya Kashem said...

this trip looks very interesting, fun, and the salt marsh nature center is beautiful! i love looking at these pictures of nature. :)

Sarah Awan said...

I would love to go to the Salt Marsh one day!!!!

Ms. Seitz said...

Maybe we can work that one out Sarah. I know how much you want to be in the club. In the spring, we do a lot of digging and planting and all that so I may need extra help. I love how you are checking out all my postings. And I'm glad you like them. I'll post some more soon.

Hasib Patwary said...

saiful is my cousin