Monday, May 27, 2013

BIRD IDENTIFICATION

I often come across a bird that I can't identify, so what I do is take note of its size, beak, and field markings. For example, does the bird have a throat color or wing tip colors? Does the bird have an unusual eye color? Also does the bird have a noteworthy behavior, like jumping up and down or climbing trees?

Today while walking at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, I came across a black and white bird that I couldn't identify. The first thing I noticed was that it was black and white, had a white throat and a white edging at the end of its tail. I also noticed that it didn't mind if I got too close. Oh yeah, and it had a big head!

When I got home, I popped all this information into the computer and, viola!, learned that I had seen an Eastern kingbird! This bird is migratory and must have just flown up from South America. It will breed here in the United States, perhaps even at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. They eat insects and berries, so they are omnivores!


19 comments:

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

Ms.Seitz, sorry I can't come on July 3rd because I'm going to North Carolina to visit sme family with my mom and sister.

Ms. Seitz said...

I'm really sorry you can't come. If the weather isn't good, I may reschedule. Could you perhaps come at a later date? Have fun in North Carolina!

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

I could come on a different date.

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

I think, but my mom said we are going away on vacation for the whole summer.

Ms. Seitz said...

I'm so sorry that we won't be able to do a nature walk Rosie. We did actually go yesterday and it was really fun. Wish you could have come. Have you left for vacation?

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

I just came back. My mom said we are going on vacation to somewhere, again. So I don't know when I'm coming back.

Ms. Seitz said...

OK Rosie. I hope you are having a good summer. Where did you go? And where are you going? I leave for Alaska on Monday.

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

I went to North Carolina, in Charlotte. I'm going to Morocco. I'm having a good summer. I hope your having a great summer,. The only thing I don't like is that Dyker Heights gives homework and I have to do it.

Ms. Seitz said...

I'm glad you are having a good summer. Morocco sounds great! Don't blame Dyker Heights though. Many of the middle schools have summer work to do in preparation for September, like reading. When are you returning?

Rosie said...

Sorry, I now saw your comment. I came back last week.

Ms. Seitz said...

No problem. I was in Pennsylvania. Hope you have a good summer and are looking forward to middle school. Did I ever give you any garlic grown in the school garden?

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

Yes, you did give me some garlic.

Ms. Seitz said...

Rosie: Good luck tomorrow on your first day of middle school. I hope it is a good one. I would love to hear all about it!

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

Middle School was really nice! I really like all my teachers.My homeroom teacher is a bit mean, but its ok. I really love my Math teacher.She really inspires me. Im in Honors in Dyker Heights. My mom was really happy about it. Do you have an Urban Nature club this year?

Danny Tam said...

Yay! it was fun waiting outside with Iory and his pet pigeon though!

Ms. Seitz said...

Hi Rosie: I'm so glad you're enjoying middle school and being in the Honors program. And I'm glad you are feeling inspired. Yes, I have an Urban Nature Club this year. We just started on Monday. Hope to see you in the neighborhood!

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

I hope i see the Urban Nature Club. Im just wondering, whos in the Urban Nature Club this year? Maybe i'll see you on Monday.

Rosie Boukhalfa said...

Im asking who's in the Urban Nature Club because i know some fifth graders. I hope your Urban Nature club group behaves, unlike last year...

Ms. Seitz said...

They seem like a good bunch of kids. And not everyone last year misbehaved, of course. Some of my members are Daisy, Estrella, Maddy, Tasfiya, Szymon, Ariel, Taosif, Kaseng, Katherine, Ziqi...