Monday, October 8, 2012

THERE'S A CHILL IN THE AIR--AUTUMN IS OFFICIALLY HERE!

Although autumn began on September 22, it wasn't until this weekend that it really felt like fall. It's downright cold out there. Despite the chill, I ventured out to the Queens County Farm Museum to celebrate the harvest and pick up several pumpkins to carve and/or paint. They have a great working farm here--lots of cool-weather plants were still growing...leeks, lettuce, kale, broccoli and more. You can even buy fresh eggs from the farm's chickens. There are also animals on the farm and they love kind, gentle visitors. I especially enjoyed watching the pigs rummage around with their big, square snouts.




The Queens County Farm Museum dates back to 1697 and occupies New York City's largest remaining tract of undisturbed farmland. The 47-acre farm is the only working historical farm in the city and is the longest continuously farmed site in New York State. The site includes historic farm buildings, a greenhouse complex, livestock, farm vehicles and implements, planting fields, an orchard, and an herb garden. For more info, go to: http://www.queensfarm.org

1 comment:

Sarah Awan said...

Hi Ms.Seitz!These pictures are awesome!I love looking at your blog.It is so full of information!I hope you will let me in the Urban Nature Club in the spring.I can not wait for your answer but I have to.Can I give you my lab report before the due date?Bye!See you tomorrow!!!!