Sunday, January 1, 2012

Anyone Want a Walking Stick?

Well, my pet walking stick's eggs just keep on hatching and right now I probably have at least 50 baby walking sticks in a variety of sizes. Several of my students have already taken an interest in this very cool insect and have adopted a few as their own pets. But I have plenty more if anyone else is interested.

They are easy to care for. All you need is a small tank or container with a lid that has holes. Then you spray some water in the enclosure every day and feed them romaine lettuce leaves. That's it. During summer, I also feed them raspberry leaves, which can be picked from the school garden. Interested walking stick owners only need to provide Ms. Seitz with a letter from home saying it's okay for you to take a few of these curiosities home.

7 comments:

rosie boukhalfa said...

those are nice ecoysystems

Donna said...

I wish we could have you mail them to us in Iowa! How cool to have them as a classroom pet!

rosie b said...

i want a walking stick but my mom wont let me

Ms. Seitz said...

Hi Donna. Are you a teacher too? And yes, I LOVE the walking sticks.

Ms. Seitz said...

Hi Rosie: Is there any way I can persuade her? They are so safe and simple to take care of.

Tasfiya Kashem said...

If there are plenty of more walking sticks, I will ask my mom if we can adopt one. They seem interesting!

Ms. Seitz said...

I have more at home, don't worry. They are easy to take care of. Just need a spritz of water each day and either Romaine lettuce or raspberry leaves. You can harvest the raspberry leaves from the school garden!