Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hummingbird in my Brooklyn Yard

Just the other morning, right before getting ready for school, I noticed a hummingbird sipping nectar from the flowers on my pineapple sage. I couldn't believe it! So I grabbed my camera and started clicking away. (I was almost late for school too!)

I knew it was a ruby throated hummingbird because they are the only hummingbird species east of the Mississippi River. (Where my Mom lives, in Arizona, there are many species of hummingbird.) It is also the only breeding hummingbird in North America (that means it nests and lays eggs here in the summer.) I also knew it was a female because the males have a ruby throat and this one didn't.

Like monarch butterflies, this tiny bird migrates south during the winter. It was filling up on nectar in my yard for the many miles ahead of her en route to Central America, Mexico or the Caribbean. (Wish I was en route there too!) They are so tiny--about 3 1/2 inches long and weigh 1/8 ounce or 3 grams--that's three of those tiny blue gram pieces we use for measuring mass in class kids!)

Ruby-throated hummingbirds fly straight and fast but can stop instantly, hover, and adjust their position up, down, or backwards with exquisite control. This little gal would sip for a few seconds, then take a break. Here's a photo of her resting on the telephone wire and another on a butterfly bush.

I actually planted the pineapple sage hoping to attract a hummingbird. They are attracted to red, tubular flowers or long flowers. That's because they have long, skinny beaks that they stick down the long throats of the flowers to sip nectar. We have some pineapple sage in the raised bed gardens on McDonald Avenue, but they haven't bloomed yet because it's not sunny enough. Hopefully they will bloom and a hummer will visit the PS 230 garden soon!

5 comments:

Mo said...

Wow thats amazing ms.seitz!This article sounded pretty amazing.This article made me read it over and over and over again because its sounds like something that should be in the newspaper

Ms. Seitz said...

Thanks Mohammed. By the way, disregard my other question to you re: reading other stuff. Obviously, you have read other things here. Yes, I was sooo amazed to see the hummingbird in my yard and good thing I grabbed my camera in time. I'll keep posting cool things like this as I notice them around Brooklyn.

Illusion said...

Wow, I never knew that you had a garden at the school till you told me yesterday.
I hope you're doing well Ms. Seitz!


~Nassima~

Ms. Seitz said...

Nassima: Nice to hear from you! Yes, we have a garden and hopefully it will get bigger this year!

Illusion said...

Wow! I'll have to get my sister to show it me!