Saturday, May 9, 2009

A STRANGE TURTLE STORY


About two years ago, I had one of my turtles escape from its tank during the summer. I had kept the tank in my yard so the turtles could enjoy the sunshine. Somehow, the lid to the tank was not on correctly and one of the turtles figured out how to get out. I thought she was lost for good.

Just the other day, my neighbor, Sally, said she had something to show me. I went next door to her yard where she lifted a big piece of black plastic that she kept over some leaves. Under the plastic was a turtle. I checked it out. It was a female, like the one I lost. It was about the size of my turtle and it appeared to be a red-eared slider, the kind of turtle I had.

So for two years, the turtle has been able to ADAPT to the environment in our Brooklyn backyards. She probably feasted on plants and dug down into the soil during the winter to keep warm. I think it's pretty amazing that she was able to survive on her own. We call this RESILENCE when something is able to succeed despite difficulties. Now the question is....do I just let her continue her life in the wild, or scoop her up and put her back in a tank. WHAT DO YOU THINK? LET ME KNOW. Signing off, Ms. Seitz

2 comments:

Someone said...

Nice story its pretty funny though too from anton in ms grant

Ms. Seitz said...

Well, this year I've reintroduced Rex and Ninja. They're in the science classroom tank. I've already witnessed Rex chasing Ninja around. He seems fine though. He tends to hang out on the beach to stay away from Ninja. He's eating though, so I don't think he's too stressed out. I'll just have to keep an eye on them.